F and M visas are student visas that allow for visitors (i.e. non-immigrants) to study in the United States for a period of time. F-1 visas for qualifying international students of an established school, university, seminary, or other academic institution.

For qualifying nonacademic students, such as students in vocational or practical training, M visas are issued. For both visas, the students must show that they have already been accepted in the certified school within the United States, that they possess adequate financial conditions to pursue the specified education, and that they intend to leave and not stay in the United States.

Under special circumstances, some F and M visas allow for limited work opportunity. Generally, however, F and M visas do not allow the student to work in the United States.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *